Born to Run



I have read 10% of the book Born to Run by Christopher McDougall.  It makes me WANT to want to run, but I still don't.  Still - it's a fascinating tale.  So far.

I also heard him on NPR yesterday, which was why I decided to read the book.  Mostly because I am surrounded by runners and want to be able to relate to them in some way.  He said the best way to train is to run in place, because then you are doing it "right".  Really?  Run in place?  I can totally do that!

So, here starts my experiment in running in place.  I am treating it more as a HIIT workout - i.e. spontaneously throughout the day I will burst into running in place for a minute.  Picture that scene from the song "Maniac" from Flashdance.

I can't post it via YouTube because this is a family friendly blog and when I watched it I thought, "Really?  It was that risque?"  What can I say, I am getting old.  

Speaking of old, also on NPR yesterday they were discussing the show "All Things Considered" turning 40.  I am permanently stuck in 1990 because that was the year I graduated from high school and my hairstyle, clothes and makeup were established by then.  So I thought, "Woah - that has been around since 1950?"  Then I realized that I am almost 40 and we are now in 2011 and that means it started in 1971. 

1 comment:

  1. I LOVED Born to Run! Rach told me about it and I flew through it. So interesting. I told a friend about it and she came up to me in church seriously gushing about how much she loved it. I've been running barefoot on my treadmill for the last few weeks and she gave me a drink with chia seeds. We'll have to compare notes :-)!

    ReplyDelete