Vegan Food Review: Daiya

I figure someday someone is going to google Daiya.

Then they will stumble upon my blog and ask me to write a book about something really inspirational that will change lives.
So here I am, about to review Daiya.  For those of you who don't know what Daiya is, which should be about 99% of my readers (the 1% being Barbara if she still reads my blog), Daiya is a non-dairy cheese that is great for vegans because, it is non-dairy.  I tried out two different flavors - the cheddar and mozzarella.  The cheddar I melted on Food Should Taste Good chips and then added salsa and guacamole.  Maybe it is psychological, but it was just fine.  It isn't as drippy as regular cheddar, but I didn't use too much in case I hated it.

My next test was with pizza.  I mean, there is no way that you can eat pizza without cheese!  We do homemade pizza every Saturday night so I reserved one of them to try it out.  There is definitely a different flavor, but it is more of an herb flavor of sorts.  My husband and bestie both tried it and said it was fine.  So I think we were all in agreement - I could definitely just stick to that.  I don't know if that would work on the kids, but I'm not being as rigid with them because I am letting them choose for themselves.  I'm just not going to personally cook stuff for them with any animal foods.  

In another note - I bought a cookbook called "Peas and Thank You" by Sarah Matheny.  She's funny, and I can relate to what she says - I'm not doing this because I particularly love animals.  It's personal for my health.  I wish I could come up with a different word besides Vegan because I feel like a fraud saying, "I'm a Vegan."  Vegans have a whole philosophy that I don't have. 

Although, you might catch me doing yoga.

No comments:

Post a Comment