Flexatarianism and Gratitude

Just kidding.  I actually just loved this blog post from Tony Horton, creator of P90X and P90X2, which is being released next year.  He has discovered what works best for his body and his health and what he wants to achieve.  I could learn a thing or two from him.  Oh wait!  I have!  I did 8 weeks of P90X and it about kicked my trash.  Oh wait!  It DID kick my trash.  Anyway, one of these days, like next summer when I don't have carpool schedules, I will try it again.  I have found that it really works for me to follow an exercise schedule, because then I stay more or less on task.  If I am left to my own devices it usually doesn't get done.  And have I discussed the fact that I hate running?

As I have mentioned before, my good friend Rachel Jones is very tuned into eating what her body needs.  She would definitely call herself a Flexatarian - alternating between foods based on what she feels she needs at the time.  She isn't rigid, doesn't count calories or points, doesn't live her life by a scale...I consider her method very intuitive, and am trying to adopt it. 

What I have learned the past few weeks is that the approach will be different for each individual.  For the time being I am sticking to a whole foods, plant-based diet, which most people would see as vegan.  For me, being a vegan has a whole political connotation to it that I haven't adopted.  I'm really just trying to use food to heal my body and hopefully keep it free from Heart Disease, Diabetes, and Cancer.  My heart tells me that this is the right path for me.

Last night a friend dropped off cookies and was so hesitant to give them to me because she didn't know if I could eat them.  She was showing appreciation to me.  I don't want to be the type of person that would reject a kind gift.  It doesn't mean I have to eat them, because I chose not to.  However, the gratitude on both sides is what is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment