Chasing the Right Things

Sometimes in life I have felt like I was just throwing darts at a dartboard to see what would stick.  Actually, better analogy - when I was in college my dad and I would go out to dinner regularly.  We had a particular restaurant that we liked to go to that was a Chinese American hybrid.  I think we were their only customers for years.  One night I was lamenting the dating opportunities to my dad and finally he just said, "Look, you gotta throw a lot of spaghetti against the wall for some of it to stick.  Dating is the same way."

I only realize now, 20 years later, how right he was.  But, not just about dating - about LIFE.  I feel like my 20s were about finding the right person, my 30s were about finding the things that I am passionate about, and now my 40s will be about living those passions.  It's exciting and daunting and some days I feel fearless and other days I wonder what in the world I am doing.  What I do know, is that I am determined to stop chasing the wrong things.  In fact, in the past month and a half I have allowed some of the right things a chance to "catch" me and because of that have had some tender mercies and amazing experiences.  

Heading into 2012 I have had the opportunity to ponder and decide on three areas that are my life priorities.  If something that comes along is not in alignment with those three areas, then at this time it is not something I am going to pursue.  Even if it is a seemingly good thing.  

And now I am off to Church, where this year we are studying the Book of Mormon in Sunday School and I can't wait to read it again and see what wisdom I glean at this new stage of my life.  

Have a wonderful New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment