Squashing Doubts

There are times that I have a fear of failure when it comes to my Challenge Groups.  It's not that I feel like I am going to fail as much as I fear that if people come in and are really excited and then lose momentum that I will take it personally.  Then I remember why I am doing it in the first place.

This week my friend's son was diagnosed with type one diabetes.  No one knows what causes it.  Their life is going to completely change from now on, but because she has been in the challenge since March and we have been working on making changes to her eating, she is already ahead of the game.  It makes me happy that I spoke up and invited her to our weekly health group.  As hard as it is going to be for their family, now she has a strong support group.

Another friend was diagnosed with H. Plyori, which I had never heard of.  She is skinny, runs a lot, but admits that her diet is terrible.  I've had a chance to talk with her about how she could make a few changes.  I know it will be hard for her - it was hard for me!  I still struggle from time to time when I am traveling or faced with food challenges.  

"They" say that we are far more likely to run from pain than run towards pleasure.  Some people join my challenge because they want to lose weight, and there are plenty of challenge groups out there for that.  Mine is a little different in that the main goal is to learn how to transition lives to healthy eating that is based on whole foods.  The side bonus is that you lose weight.  You get to choose what the program will do for you, but the principles and guidelines are the same no matter what.

I know you can lose weight doing a variety of programs and diets.  I've been on most of them.  I just read a program that a friend is doing that says, "Get in the best shape of your life in six weeks".  If someone needs to lose 50+ lbs, there is no way that they will be in the best shape of their life in six weeks.  I feel like that just sets someone up to fail.  At least, I feel like that would have set me up to fail.  

My April group started this week and it is so fun to see the excitement and support.  Starting new groups each month has been fun because the earlier groups can encourage those that are just joining.   And for me, it is all about the support!

The next group starts May 1st!

No comments:

Post a Comment