Being Normal



I had a frustrated friend talk to me the other night.  She said she didn't care about washboard abs, she didn't even have a desire to be "skinny".  She just wanted to lose some weight and not be the largest woman in the room.

I have SO been in that boat.  My college roommates were all either tall and thin or shirt and tiny.  Then there was me in the middle.  I was always hiding behind them in hopes that I would just blend in.  Shopping with them at our girls' weekends was a nightmare.  They shopped in stores with cute and trendy clothes while I sought out Eddie Bauer because if it didn't fit me in the women's section, I could always try the men's jeans on for size.  They didn't understand why I would end up so frustrated that they were trying on size 2 and the store didn't even carry my size.

I am a totally average American woman.  Seriously.  I am the average height, the average weight, the average size....but I am not the average health on the inside.  On the inside my numbers look like a rockstar.  And, I am 40.  At the age of 40, what on earth is the importance of washboard abs?  I've had two c-sections.  A six pack is not in the cards for me, and I am totally okay with that.

The Sanity Health Challenge is for real women who want to lose weight and be healthy without the pressure that can come from a personal trainer.  Women who want the group support and accountability without the guilt or competition.  That is exactly what I wanted 25 lbs ago.  

I'm not skinny.  I'm not even thin by media definition.  I'm no longer the largest girl in the room and that is good enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment