Healing Hashimoto's Disease - a Homeschool Family Journey

Healing Hashimoto's Disease - a Homeschool Family Journey

Hashimoto's disease is a condition in which your immune system attacks your thyroid, a small gland at the base of your neck below your Adam's apple. The thyroid gland is part of your endocrine system, which produces hormones that coordinate many of your body's activities. - Mayo Clinic

For the past several months, my husband has been tired, cranky, and even though he eats relatively healthy foods, he hasn't been able to lose a single pound.  He was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease a few years ago, and then life got in the way and we didn't stay on top of it.  Hashimoto's Disease is an autoimmune disease so yes, I know it can't actually be healed, however, it can be controlled.  And fortunately, I was blessed to go to a girls' night out where I met a woman who has the same issues, who was controlling it with food.  

So, I sent the link to the clinic that she has been going to via google hangout to my husband and was utterly shocked when he wrote back that he had scheduled an appointment.  I knew it must be bad for him to respond that quickly.  He went to the appointment a few days later and had all of his blood work done.  The results were awful and quite scary.  So we said another prayer of gratitude and signed him up for an intensive program that will include education as well as a very meticulous and strict way of eating.  I have decided to join him in this journey because I feel that if I do, I have a chance of healing my lymphedema as well.  

Speaking of blessings...it turns out that one of the top lymphedema clinics in the country is less than 3 miles from my house.  I am going today for my first appointment.  The downside to all of these visits is that insurance doesn't cover it, because you can't just pop a pill.  We are very grateful that we were able to sell our house so that we have the resources to do all of this.  In the meantime, I am getting some certifications for my business, Launching Women, so that I can help people even more get their businesses off the ground.  Again - I just feel very blessed and grateful!

I am committed to tracking what I eat so that it can help other families.  I will not be tracking my weight loss.

Day One 

Breakfast - Smoothie with almond milk, water, frozen blueberries, and eQuivalent from QSciences.

Lunch - Salad from FreeBirds - greens, chicken, black beans and guacamole

Dinner - grilled tilapia, roasted sweet potatoes, zucchini noodles, green salad, strawberries for dessert

 

No comments:

Post a Comment